Biography / Wiki
From a minor gangster to the leader of the Kapu community, Vangaveeti Ranga is still being missed by his followers even after 29 years of his murder. Ranga was originally known as Vangaveeti Mohana Ranga Rao was an Indian National Congress politician in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh.
He was born on 4th July 1948 in Katuru, Vuyyuru, Krishna district, Andhra Pradesh. As a politician though he was a savior for one community but was accused of the murder of two brothers. He could only survive in this political world for 7 years.
Height / Weight / Age
Vangaveeti Ranga was 170 cm tall and in feet inches his height was 5’7”. His weight was 60 kg in Kilograms and 132 lbs in Pounds. He died on26th December 1988 at the age of 41. His eye and hair color was black. His body measurement was 36 inches chest, 28 inches waist, and biceps in 12 inches.
Education / Family
Ranga was the youngest brother and had four elder brothers. One of his elder brothers Vangaveeti Radha Krishna Rao Sr was murdered in 1974. He married Chennupati Ratna Kumari. Ranga’s son Radha Krishna Rao Jr was named after his elder brother. He also had a daughter named Asha. After his death, his son, wife, and other relatives joined politics and fought for the constituency of Vijayawada.
|Vangaveeti Mohana Ranga Rao
|Ranga, Tiger Ranga, Ranganna, VMR
|Katuru, Vuyyuru, Krishna district, Andhra Pradesh
|Date Of Birth
|July 4, 1947
|41 years (as in 1988)
|In centimeters – 170 cm
In feet inches – 5’7”
|In kilograms – 60 kg
In pounds – 132 lbs
|Date of death
|December 26, 1988
|Place of death
|Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
|Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
|In 1981, ran in the Vijayawada Municipal Elections
|Vangaveeti Koteswara Rao (Elder)
Vangaveeti Venkata Narayana Rao (Elder)
Vangaveeti Shobhana Chalapathi Rao (Elder)
Vangaveeti Radha Krishna (Elder)
Career / Fashion And Style
Ranga joined politics after his brother’s death in 1981. He ran in the municipal election and Congress withdrew its official candidate in the Ranga’s favor in the Vijayawada. He became the leader of the Kapu community and was elected as an MLA for the Congress Party in 1985.
His biggest rival Rajasekhar became MLA from Telugu Desam Party. Since 1983, both the parties were involved in gang warfare. He was accused of the murder of Rajasekhar’s brothers twice in the gang warfare.
Due to the caste politics, Ranga was murdered on 26th December 1988, when he was on a hunger strike demanding greater personal protection. He was brutally killed by a group of men. After his death, CM of Andhra ordered Rajasekhar to surrender himself and the Director-General of Police resigned.
Girlfriends, Affairs, Wife and More
|Chennupati Ratna Kumari
|Daughter – Asha
Son – Radha Krishna
Some Interesting Facts About Vangaveeti Ranga
- He was the youngest among his 4 elder brothers.
- He entered politics after his elder brother Vangaveeti Radhakrishna was killed.
- His political career started in 1981 when Congress withdrew its official candidate in the Ranga’s favor in the Vijayawada.
- CPI party member Chalasani Venkata Ratnam supported his family when they came to Vijayawada.
- Devineni Rajsekhar was the biggest rival of Vangaveeti Ranga.
- Ranga’s rival was supported by the Telugu Desam Party which was dominated by the Kamma caste.
- Ranga was the leader of the Kapu community.
- On July 10, 1988, he was proclaimed as the leader of Kapus in the rally called Kapunadu.
- Based on Vangaveeti Ranga & his family, a biographical film “Vangaveeti” was released in 2016.
- To highlight the autocratic rule of N.T. Rama Rao started a bus tour Jana Chaitanya Yatra.
- When he was on a hunger strike, he was attacked and murdered by a group of men on 25th December 1988.
- After his death, serious riots took place and a curfew was imposed for 40 days in the city of Vijayawada.
- Now, his son is in politics. He joined Congress party, later shifted to Praja Rajyam Party, and then to YSR Congress Party.
- His wife also entered politics and was elected as MLA from the East Vijayawada Constituency. Later she switched to TDP from Congress.
- He was in prison for the murder of Devineni Rajsekhar’s brother Gandhi. Later, he was also accused of the murder of Rajsekhar’s brother Murali.