Biography / Wiki
The Queen of smashes, Saina Nehwal is one of the finest badminton players which India had ever produced. She is an Indian professional badminton singles player who won over 24 international titles. She is a former world no.1 and is the only female player from India to achieve this feat.
Additionally, she had at least one medal in every BWF major individual event and the first Indian to win two singles gold medals in Commonwealth Games. Apart from that, she is conferred by two sporting honors, namely the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and the Arjuna Award and also India’s third highest civilian award, Padma Bhushan.
Currently, she hit the headlines as he is a part of the Indian contingent being sent for the Tokyo Olympics 2021.
Height / Weight / Age
Born on 17 March 1990, Saina Nehwal will turn 31 years old in the year 2021. She seems to be tall with a height of 168 in centimeters and 5’6” in feet and inches. She is a well-built lady with body measurements of 34 inches breast, 26 inches waist, and 34 inches hips.
Being a Sports personality, she seems very fit and healthy and weighs 60 kg in kilograms and 132 lbs in pounds approximately. Her brown eyes color and black hair make his personality even more rocking.
According to the sources, the estimated net worth of Saina Nehwal is approximately 36 Crore Indian Rupees.
Education / Family
Saina was born and raised up in Hisar, Haryana, India, and belongs to a Hindu family. She is born to her father Harvir Singh Nehwal (Scientist) and her mother Usha Nehwal. She also has a lovely and caring sister Abu Chandranshu Nehwal.
She completed her school education from various schools such as Campus School, CCS HAU, Hisar, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, St. Ann’s College for Women, Hyderabad, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Public School, Hyderabad, and National Institute of Rural Development (NIRD) School. However, she studied till class 12th and didn’t attend any college after her 12th standard.
|Birth Place||Hisar, Haryana, India|
|Date Of Birth||17 March 1990|
|Height||In centimeters – 168 cm
In feet inches – 5’6”
|Weight||In Kilograms – 60 kg
In Pounds – 132 lbs
|Profession||Badminton Player, Politician|
|School||• Campus School, CCS HAU, Hisar
• St. Ann’s College for Women, Hyderabad
• Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Public School, Hyderabad
• National Institute of Rural Development (NIRD) School
|Home Town||Hisar, Haryana, India|
|Debut||Asian Badminton Satellite tournament in 2005|
|Fathers Name||Harvir Singh Nehwal (Scientist)|
|Mothers Name||Usha Nehwal
|Sister||Abu Chandranshu Nehwal (Elder)
Career / Fashion And Style
As per her career, she started playing badminton at the age of 8 and trained in badminton under the guidance of an Indian badminton coach S. M. Arif. After that, he received training from Pullela Gopichand, Vimal Kumar, and Nani Prasad Rao.
In 2005, she made her international debut with the Asian Badminton Satellite tournament and then won numerous titles as a badminton player both nationally and internationally. She has suffered from some injuries in 2016 & 2017 but recovered soon and won numerous tournaments.
She is the only Indian to have won at least one medal in the BWF World Championships, the only Indian to have won the BWF World Junior Championships and the first Indian badminton player to have won an Olympic medal. Apart from that, she is the only Indian to have won at least one medal in every major individual event.
She became the first Indian female and the youngest Asian to win a 4-star tournament in 2006. She is the first Indian to win a Super Series title. She captained the Indian team and remained undefeated, in the 2014 Uber cup. In the commonwealth games, she won two singles gold medals (2010 and 2018) and became the first Indian to do so.
She made India proud by winning a bronze medal in the London Olympics 2012. By defeating Carolina Marín in the final, she won the Syed Modi International and became the first Indian woman shuttler to reach the finals of All England. Later, she won her first BWF Super 500 title, the Indonesia Masters in 2019.
She refused to play her singles match citing poor playing surface after defending her national championship title in Guwahati, Assam and she went on to win the National Championship by defeating top seed, P. V. Sindhu.
Awards & Achievements
- Bronze Medal at Commonwealth Games in Melbourne
- Won a four-star badminton Philippines Open tournament at Pasig City, Manila
- Won the Philippines Open Grand Prix
- Gold Medal at National Games in Guwahati
- Most Promising Player of the Year Award by Badminton World Federation (BWF)
- Won the Indonesia Open tournament at Jakarta
- Arjuna Award
- Won the Yonex Sunrise Indian Open tournament in Chennai
- Bronze Medal at Asian Badminton Championships in New Delhi
- Won the India Open Grand Prix
- Silver Medal in Mixed Team Event at Commonwealth Games in Delhi
- Won the Hong Kong Open Badminton Super Series
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
- Padma Shri Award
- Bronze Medal at Asian Games
- Won the Australian Badminton Open Super Series
- Won the China Super Series Premier
- Silver Medal at World Championships in Jakarta
- Won the Australian Badminton Open Super Series in Sydney
- Won the Malaysia Masters tournament
- Bronze Medal at World Badminton Championships in Glasgow
- Gold Medal at Commonwealth Games in Women’s Singles
- Gold Medal in badminton mixed team event at Commonwealth Games
Boyfriends, Affairs, Husband, and More
Reflecting on her personal life, she tied the marriage knot in 2018 with her long-term boyfriend, Parupalli Kashyap who is a Badminton player.
|Boyfriends||Parupalli Kashyap (Badminton Player)|
|Husband||Parupalli Kashyap (m. 2018-present)
Here we are providing you a list of her favorite things.
|Favorite Actors||Shah Rukh Khan, Mahesh Babu|
|Favorite Actress||Not Known|
|Favorite Athlete||Cricketer – Sachin Tendulkar
Tennis Player – Roger Federer
|Favorite Politician(s)||Narendra Modi|
|Favorite Food||Aloo Paratha|
Some Interesting Facts About Saina Nehwal
- Her zodiac sign is Pisces.
- She is very fond of traveling.
- In 2006, she became the under-19 national champion.
- Her mother is a huge fan of the tennis player Steffi Graff.
- Her family moved from Haryana to Hyderabad when she was 5 years old.
- In 2010, she is honored with the Padma Shri by the Government of India.
- She joined the BJP in 2020 in the mid of the campaigns of the Delhi Assembly elections.
- Former Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar gifted her BMW car in 2012 after she won the Olympics gold medal.
- Apart from badminton, she also played karate and has a brown belt in it.
- She is a member of the International Olympic Committee’s Athletes Commission.
- Her autobiography Playing to Win: My Life On and Off Court was released in 2012.
- She was supported by the Not for Profit company Olympic Gold Quest.